Heather MacKnee, April 2020

Dear Family and Friends,                                 April 5, 2020
Here I am in my upyard, writing an update to you. Spellcheck says upyard isn’t a word; well, it is now. I made it up. My apartment building doesn’t have a back or front yard, but it does have a large flat roof which I have claimed as my
“upyard” and I’m so thankful for it. It seems that no one else who lives in the 30 apartments in this building comes up here during this quarantine time, so I get to go for long interrupted walks up here, breathe fresh air and see the beautiful sky. When I was a teenager, I loved to sleep outside in my backyard, in Peeler park with my girlfriends (remember?), on trampolines, at camp… I just loved looking at the sky, and I still do. It could have something to do with growing up in Saskatchewan where there’s lots of sky to see, but I’m sure that many of you feel the same way too, wherever you live.
It’s taken me awhile to put my thoughts together to explain what life is like here in Bolivia, but I’ll try to be concise. On March 16, we were still allowed to open Candelero Kids but schools were closed. We had to be in our houses by 6 p.m. or be fined. On March 21, we were told that the next day everyone would have to be in their homes by noon everyday, or be fined, so we closed Candelero Kids. That Wed. night, we were told that we could go to the market or grocery store one day a week according to the last number on our ID cards, but we would have to walk and be home by noon, or be fined. My day to shop is Friday, so that day, I walked to the police station to ask for permission for our truck to come in to the city to buy food on the designated day for them. I dropped off money at a friend’s house who lives in the area closest to the road that goes to our Boy’s Home for Marcelo and Mirtha to pick up on “their day”. I walked more than 20 kms that morning doing this. On March 24, the mayor of Tarija decided that everyone would only be allowed to shop on Tuesday and Friday according to the number on your ID card, or be fined. Not good! Many people would have suffered as many people don’t have fridges or enough money to buy lots at one time. I was able to share this with a friend from Open Bible Church and she prayed, as well, and God answered positively – so thankful. We can still go whichever morning we are designated to buy. Police are all over the place and you are given warnings if you aren’t wearing a facemask. On Friday, I was in the ATM lineup for 80 minutes. Oh yah – Saturdays and Sundays, no one can leave their homes at all. Social distancing here is definitely stricter than in North America. I miss seeing the boys a lot and it gets old being at home so much, but, like I said, they reopened the flat roof area here last week and that is giving me more sanity. And, in all of this, I am learning so much from the Bible and from messages I hear on the Internet. I get lonely at times, but we all do understand the need for staying home. We know of only one case of corona virus in Tarija – lots in Santa Cruz and other cities.
     I restarted a study on the names and descriptions of Jesus in the book of Revelation last week,  and was so encouraged of the reminder that Jesus is the Ruler of God’s creation. (Rev. 3:14)  He is on the throne. World leaders trying to rule their countries at this time (here we are so thankful that Evo Morales is no longer the President), have many challenges because they are so limited, of course. But Jesus, the Ruler, has all power. I’ve been writing out verses from the NT that talk about the throne of God and they are so beautiful. They take my eyes off the circumstances here and put them on the Lord, the powerful King. I’m learning so much, and I share this with you, to encourage you to dig into the Word now that you may have more time to do that. I’ve encouraged our boys to do the same with the gospel of John.
        Most of this update is about life now, but I do want to let you know that God worked in amazing ways at our camp in February. We are sooo thankful that the corona virus didn’t stop us from having it. We all had lots of fun with the games, even though it was rainy, and, most importantly our speaker did a great job sharing practical lessons from the Bible and about teenage issues. Several kids made decisions for Christ – some were rededications. 5 boys from the High School our boys go to came, and Alex, Jhon’s friend, talked to me afterwards as he wasn’t quite sure he was ready and wanted more guidance. I reassured him that he didn’t have to be with a pastor to accept Christ as it is a personal decision. A few days after camp, he told me that he had accepted Christ as His Saviour. We had plans to show videos to do follow up but, life has changed since then.
    Another way life has changed is that Mateo, age 9, and Marcelita, 20 months old, came to live at our Home in March. They are Mirtha’s great nephew and niece and because of major family problems, Mirtha and Marcelo now have custody of them. Marcelo was diagnosed with diabetes as well this past month.    
Thanks so much for your prayers for us. Internet is a huge blessing. Communication with family and friends is so important to me. I would like lots of prayer for our kids from the Support Center as many of them have so little to eat. Just like in your countries, people here are losing their jobs, or can’t go and sell like before. People live day to day here and I know that many are suffering. Easter Sunday is on April 12, and this is also the “Day of the Child” in Bolivia. I will be in contact with many of them by whatsapp this week to try to encourage them and to send pics that I have of them. I miss them. I know our thoughts will be on Jesus, and rightfully so, but, can I ask you to pray for some of our kids by name this week? They need to be reminded of God’s love for them and trust Him in these uncertain days. Some of them do know Jesus as their Saviour and some don’t. They all need provision of food. We have no idea when we will be able to open our Support Center again. So, thank you for praying for these special kids. Also, for the boys at our Home, that they would be encouraged and grow in the Lord. And, thanks for praying for me too as I continue to trust God for the finances needed to keep the ministry of Candelero Kids going. Thanks so much for your support and prayers. I am praying for you too as you have challenges as well.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. Let’s keep looking up to Jesus and remember that He is our powerful King who is able. Happy Easter!
Joyfully His, Heather MacKnee
Support Center kids: (…) means they are siblings, youngest to oldest
(Vanesa, Sergio, Juan David), (Josue, Lucy, Carlos), (Clever, Esther, Madai),
(Vidal, Gladys, Margarita, Pedro), (Taty, Maria), (Maricel, Luis Alberto), Eliana, Brayan, Fernando, Fabian, Edwin, Evans, Yovana, (Ariel,Kevin), (Matias, Edson, Ruth),
(Alejandro, Sami, Andrea, Javier, Violeta).
Candelero Kids Boy’s Home:  (youngest to oldest)
Mateo, Brayan, Rober, Ricardo, Josue, Isaac, Alvaro, Jaime, Jhon, Antonio, Florindo, Ronaldo
Each restricted contribution designated towards an organization approved program or project will be used as designated with the understanding that when the need for such a program or project has been met, or can’t be completed for any reason determined by the organization, the remaining restricted contributions designated for such programs or projects will be used where needed most.
                    EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH OF CANADA MISSION
                    Heather´s personal account # is 2-2380.
                    Candelero Kid´s account # is 2-5028.
                 EFCCM – Box 850, Langley Stn. LCD 1, Langley, BC V3A 8S6  
                               Toll Free: 1-877-305-3322
                   Heather MacKnee   Casilla 1315, Tarija, Bolivia S. America

                      FOR AMERICAN FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS
                       Heather´s personal account # is 001-0061.
                          Candelero Kid´s account # 001-0097.
            EFCM – Reach Global, 901 E. 78th St., Minneapolis, MN  55420  Toll Free: 1-800-745-2202



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rich Family in Brazil, February 2020

The Rich Family in Brazil, March 2020

Stephen Newton, Spring 2020